“US equity futures will likely be a guide to currencies today,” said Commonwealth Bank of Australia’s head of international economics, Joe Capurso.“The more equity futures fall, the larger the strength in the dollar and the yen,” he said, with a European Central Bank meeting on Thursday a possible driver of even more dollar gains.Some pressure came off riskier currencies as futures climbed off early session lows, with Nasdaq 100 futures NQc1 turning positive to gain 0.2 percent and S&P 500 futures ESc1 last down 0.2 percent.The overnight currency moves came with gains in the bond market as a tech selloff, which began last week with no apparent trigger, begins to drive broader risk aversion. The dollar held its gains on Wednesday, as a stockmarket slide spilled over into selling of riskier currencies and an oil slump weighed on commodity currencies, while fresh Brexit turmoil pushed the pound to a six-week low.The greenback sat by a one-month high against a basket of rivals and edged up against the pound, euro and the kiwi.In early trade the safe-haven Japanese yen rose to a one-week peak of 105.83 per dollar as investors looked to jittery equity markets to set the tone. The risk-sensitive Antipodean currencies fell to two-week lows, before climbing back to flat as stock futures pared losses. The Australian dollar last stood at US$0.7215 and the New Zealand dollar at $0.6618.A nearly 8 percent drop in US crude prices has also weighed on oil exporters’ currencies, with the Canadian dollar hitting a three-week low of C$1.3256 per dollar and the Norwegian krone at its lowest since late July.Sterling, however, has been the largest loser as fears grow that Britain is preparing to undercut its Brexit divorce treaty.Britain will set out its blueprint for life outside the European Union on Wednesday, publishing legislation a government minister acknowledged would break international law in a “limited way” and which could sour trade talks.The pound, which fell 1.5 percent against the dollar overnight, edged lower to a six-week trough of $1.2962 in Asia and has lost nearly 4 percent in a little over a week. It also hit a six-week low against the euro, of 90.57 pence and has fallen 2.6 percent to 137.38 yen in three sessions.The tech selloff, which has led Wall Street indexes on their sharpest three-day drop since March has also added some impetus to a dollar bounce that analysts have doubted.The dollar has now lifted 1.4 percent from its early-September trough, making particular progress against the euro in the wake of comments from ECB chief economist Philip Lane, who said last week that the exchange rate mattered to monetary policy.The ECB meets on Thursday with any comments on the currency to be closely parsed.“Lane appears to have succeeded in drawing a line in the sand at $1.20 at least for the time being,” said Rabobank senior FX strategist Jane Foley. “We see scope that euro/dollar could dip further towards the $1.17 level on a one-month view.”The euro last traded at $1.1772.Topics :
Mecca slowly stirred from a seven-month hibernation on Sunday as pilgrims trickled in after Saudi Arabian authorities partially lifted a coronavirus ban on performing umrah – a pilgrimage to Islam’s two holiest sites that is undertaken at any time of year.Millions of Muslims from around the world usually descend on Saudi Arabia for the umrah and haj Islamic pilgrimages. The two share common rites, but the haj, held once a year, is the main lengthier ritual that is a once-in-a-lifetime duty for Muslims.audi Arabia, which held a largely symbolic haj earlier this year limited to domestic worshipers, has allowed citizens and residents to start performing umrah as of Sunday at 30 percent capacity, or 6,000 pilgrims a day. It will open for Muslims from abroad starting Nov. 1. Topics : Now many are closed, the windows of some gathering dust.At midnight, tens of registered pilgrims wearing face masks prepared to enter the Grand Mosque in small groups.As they circled the Kaaba, a stone structure that is the most sacred in Islam and the direction which Muslims face to pray, officials made sure they kept a safe distance apart.Worshippers are no longer allowed to touch the Kaaba, which is draped in black cloth adorned with Arabic calligraphy in gold.Pilgrimage is the backbone of a plan to expand tourism under Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s drive to diversify the economy of the world’s top oil exporter. It aimed to boost umrah visitors to 15 million by 2020, a plan disrupted by coronavirus, and to 30 million by 2030.Religious pilgrimage generates $12 billion in revenues from worshipers’ lodging, transport, gifts, food and fees, according to official data.Saudi Arabia hosted a drastically reduced haj in late July for the first time in modern history, with a few thousand domestic pilgrims instead of the usual white-clad sea of some 3 million Muslims.Near the Grand Mosque, the hotels at high-rise towers were mostly empty and shopping malls closed hours before the resumption of umrah. Dozens of stores and restaurants were shut.Economists have estimated Mecca’s hotel sector may lose at least 40 percent of pilgrimage-driven income this year.Five hotel workers, who declined to be identified, said they were put on unpaid leave during the lockdown and said hundreds of others in the hospitality sector were laid off.”It is hard to think that this will be the new normal, I pray every day for the corona to end,” Zahrani said. Last year the Gulf state drew 19 million umrah visitors.”All of Mecca is happy today, it’s like the end of a jail term. We have missed the spiritual feeling of pilgrims roaming the city,” said Yasser al-Zahrani, who became a full time Uber driver after losing his construction job during a three-month national lockdown imposed in March.”I pray we never go through the past few months again, it was a nightmare … there was barely any work to cover my bills,” he told Reuters.Before the pandemic, more than 1,300 hotels and hundreds of stores buzzed around the clock to cater to pilgrims visiting the holy cities of Mecca and Medina.
Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 21 Apr 2020 4:26 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.6kShares Advertisement Mesut Ozil ready to take bigger pay cut than his team-mates once Arsenal give further assurances Comment Advertisement Mesut Ozil refused to take a pay cut (Picture: Getty)Arsenal star Mesut Ozil is willing to take a bigger pay reduction than his team-mates once the club give him greater assurances about how the money will be used.The German was one of three players to refuse the club’s request to take a 12-month pay cut of 12.5%.The 31-year-old is Arsenal’s highest paid player, earning £350,000-a-week at the Emirates. The German is known for his charitable nature and already gives around £2-£3m a year to charities across the world.It therefore came as a surprise that Ozil refused to the request, particularly given that the money would be refunded if the club qualify for the Champions League and partially reimbursed if they qualify for the Europa League.ADVERTISEMENT Ozil earns £350,000-a-week (Picture: Getty)However, ESPN claim that Ozil’s reason was that he felt there was a lack of communication from the club about the request and that he felt the Gunners assumed all players would adhere without question.AdvertisementAdvertisementOzil wants assurances over how the money will be used and believes it was a mistake not to consult with lawyers over the request. The German is willing to take a pay cut and ESPN say he’s ready to give more than his team-mates, who gave up 12.5% of their salary.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityHowever, he wants to see proof about where they money will go and believes more time needs to pass to see the true financial implications of the pandemic.Mikel Arteta is said to have led the calls for the players to take a pay cut, reminding them all of the club’s image in Britain.However, he did stress that any player that was unwilling to do so would not be treated differently. MORE: Jamie Carragher accuses Mesut Ozil of scoring ‘massive own goal’ by refusing to take pay cut at Arsenal
Arteta was keen to add a creative midfielder of Aouar’s quality to his squad (Picture: Getty)Aouar added: ‘I’m happy to stay in Lyon. ‘It’s my city, my club: it’s a great pride to represent OL.‘It wasn’t necessarily Arsenal or nothing else, even though at the end it was basically that. ‘I had to make a decision and I am happy to stay here.’ Houssem Aouar speaks out on his future after failed Arsenal transfer move Comment Arsenal failed with several offers to sign Lyon midfielder Houssem Aouar (Picture: Getty)Houssem Aouar says he’s ‘happy’ to be at Lyon and could remain with his boyhood club for at least another season after Arsenal failed with a move for his signature.Mikel Arteta identified Lyon’s Aouar and Atletico Madrid’s Thomas Partey as his two priority targets in midfield at the start of the summer but Lille centre-back Gabriel Magalhaes was still the only player to join Arsenal with just hours remaining of the transfer window. The Gunners had several bids rejected for Aouar – with Lyon holding out for a fee of €60million (£55m) – and the 22-year-old will stay with the Ligue 1 outfit for the 2020/21 campaign. Metro Sport ReporterSunday 11 Oct 2020 1:19 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link8.4kShares Advertisement The France midfielder is ‘happy’ to stay with Lyon (Picture: Telefoot)However, Arsenal did manage to land Partey after triggering a £45million release clause in his contract at Atletico Madrid on deadline day and the Ghanaian could make his debut when Arteta’s side travel to Manchester City next weekend.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTArsenal are expected to return for Aouar in the January transfer window or next summer but the France international and insists it still fills him with ‘great pride’ to represent Lyon, the team he’s been with since the age of 11.‘I spoke a lot with [Lyon sporting director] Juninho,’ Aouar told French outlet Telefoot. ‘He shows me his confidence every day: it’s a real pleasure to work with him.‘To stay here for another season, or more, with him, it’s a great pride.’ Advertisement Arsenal managed to sign Atleti midfielder Partey on deadline day (Picture: Getty)Former Arsenal striker Kevin Campbell is confident Aouar will be ‘next on the radar of Arteta and Edu’ after the club missed out on him this summer.‘Who is next? Houssem Aouar, we missed you. We didn’t get you this time!’ he told The Highbury Squad following Arsenal’s deadline day move for Partey.‘Whether we can get you in January, I’m not sure. But I’m sure you’re next on the radar for Mikel Arteta and Edu. More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘Somebody like yourself to add to the quality of that midfield, attacking, creative side. ‘You hopefully will be a Gunner at some stage in the future.’Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For more stories like this, check our sport page.MORE: Arsene Wenger rates Arsenal’s top-four chances and sends advice to Mikel ArtetaMORE: Paul Merson says some of Thomas Partey’s Arsenal wages should have gone to Gunnersaurus
The illegal drug industry has found ways to create “legal” drugs by modifying the composition of a legal substance to be one that is not covered by law. This bill would allow the Secretary of Health to be able to protect the public by quickly, though temporarily, declaring a “designer drug” as an illegal drug in order to avoid an immediate hazard to public safety. This designation lapses after a year, which provides adequate time for the permanent Controlled Substance scheduling to occur. June 08, 2016 The Secretary of Health, upon being notified of a controlled substance that should be rescheduled, has the authority to make the change and notifies the public 30 days before the rescheduling takes effect. The reschedule will remain in effect for one year to allow the secretary time to work with the Attorney General and the regulatory process to get the substance permanently scheduled at its new level. If needed, the secretary may keep the substance rescheduled for an additional year, as long as she republishes the notice in the Pennsylvania Bulletin. Governor Wolf Signs Bill to Prevent Further Spread of Substance Abuse Governor Wolf also signed the following bills into law:Act 36 – House Bill 150, sponsored by Rep. Maloney, which amends Title 75 (Vehicles), in registration of vehicles, providing for Share the Road plate.Act 38 – House Bill 1484, sponsored by Rep. Gillen, which amends the Act providing for designation of certain trees & land on grounds of State Capitol as “Soldiers’ Grove” to provide for duties of DGS & appropriation, as well as for preservation and construction of “Soldiers’ Grove.” A controlled substance is any type of drug that the federal government categorizes as having a higher-than-average potential for abuse or addiction. Such drugs are divided into categories based on their potential for abuse or addiction. Controlled substances range from illegal street drugs such as heroin (Schedule I), prescription medications such as oxycodone (Schedule II), and over-the-counter drugs such as Robitussin AC (Schedule V). “We cannot only focus on traditional opioids in our fight against drug abuse,” said Secretary of Health Dr. Karen Murphy. “We must expand our understanding of drug abuse to include new hybrids that are constantly and increasingly finding their way onto our streets. In addition, many of these drugs, when mixed with opioids, are resistant to the lifesaving medication naloxone, and can cause death with even just a microscopic dose.” “This bill will act as another vital tool in my administration’s fight against substance abuse in Pennsylvania,” said Governor Wolf. “House Bill 608 empowers the Department of Health to get dangerous synthetic drugs out of our communities. I am proud of the work my administration is doing to combat the drug epidemic in our state, and I thank the legislature for sending this bill to my desk so that we can continue to work collaboratively to end this scourge.” Press Release, Substance Use Disorder Harrisburg, PA — Governor Tom Wolf today signed into law House Bill 608, sponsored by Representative Matt Baker, which amends the Controlled Substance, Drug, Device & Cosmetic Act to further provide the Pennsylvania Department of Health with the authority to control the schedules and regulations of controlled substances, liquefied ammonia gas, precursors, and chemicals. By allowing the Secretary of Health to temporarily reschedule controlled substances to a higher schedule, the Wolf Administration can continue to work to prevent widespread use of substances that have the potential to be harmful or even fatal to the public at large. SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Governor Wolf Announces Grant to Sustain 700 Jobs, Improve Rail Connections at Mercer County Steel Plant December 21, 2016 Jobs That Pay, Press Release Harrisburg, PA –Governor Tom Wolf today announced a $1 million grant to Novolipetsk Steel for rail improvements at its Farrell, Mercer County steel plant that will help the operation remain competitive and preserve more than 700 family sustaining jobs.“This investment furthers my administration’s goal of creating an environment for ensuring the people of Pennsylvania have jobs that pay,” Governor Wolf said. “This grant will help NLMK make much needed upgrades to tracks and equipment used to ship its products to market.”The grant will allow rehabilitation of 8,300 feet of track, crossties and ballast and improve grade crossings in its 13-mile rail network at the plant. The company also will replace locomotives and install additional loading docks and modify some docks.The grant application was submitted by Penn Northwest Development Corporation on behalf of NLMK. NLMK was first known as Duferco Farrell Corporation. The scrap salvage company makes metal casing for Whirlpool, Frigidaire and other products for appliance companies.Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf
Healthcare, National Issues, Press Release, Public Health Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today joined a bi-partisan group of governors urging Congress to address the reauthorization of the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) before nearly 9 million children and pregnant women across the country, including more than 180,000 in Pennsylvania, are left without health care.In a letter to House and Senate leaders, the governors asked Congress to make CHIP a priority to avoid disruption to vital health care services for children and pregnant women.“For twenty years, this program has successfully provided vital health coverage and care to about nine million children. Without it, access to essential health services like well child exams, asthma medicine, and hospitalizations will be at risk. As health insurance premiums climb at unsustainable rates, this program gives hard-working families access to otherwise unaffordable coverage.“In the absence of Congressional action, we have worked to protect coverage for children and pregnant women in each of our states, but we will need federal support to continue the program. Resources are nearly exhausted, and some states already have begun to inform families that their children’s coverage may end on January 31.”In addition to Governor Wolf, governors Hickenlooper (CO), Kasich (OH), Walker (AK), Edwards (LA), Sununu (NH), McAuliffe (VA), Baker (MA), Bullock (MT), Phil Scott (VT), Sandoval (NV), and Dayton (MN) signed the letter to leaders.“I am proud to join this bi-partisan group of governors, like-minded in our commitment to protecting our most vulnerable – our children who rely on us to care for them,” Gov. Wolf said. “Congress’s inaction can only be interpreted as apathy and there can be no tolerance for that.In Pennsylvania, the Children’s Health Insurance Program provides insurance benefits to more than 180,000 children and we can’t ignore their health care needs.”If Congress fails to renew federal funding, which accounts for 90 percent of program funding, CHIP members will receive a notice from the Department of Human Services at least 30 days before the CHIP end date, telling them when CHIP coverage will end and giving them information on how to get other insurance.For more information on the Children’s Health Insurance Program in Pennsylvania, visit www.CHIPCoversPAKids.com.Read the full content of the letter to Congressional leaders below. You can also view the letter on Scribd and as a PDF.Bipartisan Governors Call for Support of CHIP by Governor Tom Wolf on Scribd December 12, 2017 Governor Wolf Joins Bi-Partisan Governors Urging Congress to Reauthorize Children’s Health Insurance Program SHARE Email Facebook Twitter